§2.111 Filing petition for cancellation.
- (a) A cancellation proceeding is commenced by filing in the Office a timely petition for cancellation with the required fee.
- (b) Any person who believes that he, she or it is or will be damaged by a registration may file a petition, addressed to the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, for cancellation of the registration in whole or in part. The petition for cancellation need not be verified, but must be signed by the petitioner or the petitioner’s attorney, as specified in § 11.1 of this chapter, or other authorized representative, as specified in § 11.14(b) of this chapter. Electronic signatures pursuant to § 2.193(c) are required for petitions submitted electronically via ESTTA. The petition for cancellation may be filed at any time in the case of registrations on the Supplemental Register or under the Act of 1920, or registrations under the Act of 1881 or the Act of 1905 which have not been published under section 12(c) of the Act, or on any ground specified in section 14(3) or (5) of the Act. In all other cases, the petition for cancellation and the required fee must be filed within five years from the date of registration of the mark under the Act or from the date of publication under section 12(c) of the Act.
- (1) A petition to cancel a registration must be filed through ESTTA.
- (2) In the event that ESTTA is unavailable due to technical problems, or when extraordinary circumstances are present, a petition to cancel may be filed in paper form. A paper petition to cancel a registration must be accompanied by a Petition to the Director under § 2.146, with the fees therefor and the showing required under this paragraph (c). Timeliness of the paper submission, if relevant to a ground asserted in the petition to cancel, will be determined in accordance with §§ 2.195 through 2.198.
- (d) The petition for cancellation must be accompanied by the required fee for each party joined as petitioner for each class in the registration(s) for which cancellation is sought (see § 2.6). A petition cannot be filed via ESTTA unless the petition is accompanied by a fee that is sufficient to pay in full for each named petitioner to seek cancellation of the registration(s) in each class specified in the petition. A petition filed in paper form that is not accompanied by a fee sufficient to pay in full for each named petitioner for each class in the registration(s) for which cancellation is sought may not be instituted.
- (e) The filing date of a petition for cancellation is the date of electronic receipt in the Office of the petition and required fee. In the rare instances that filing by paper is permitted under these rules, the filing date of a petition for cancellation will be determined in accordance with §§ 2.195 through 2.198.
[48 FR 3976, Jan. 28, 1983; 54 FR 37596, Sept. 11, 1989; 63 FR 48081, Sept. 9, 1998, effective Oct. 9, 1998; 64 FR 48900, Sept. 8, 1999, effective Oct. 30, 1999; 68 FR 55748, Sept. 26, 2003, effective Nov. 2, 2003; 72 FR 42242, Aug. 1, 2007, effective Nov. 1, 2007; 73 FR 47650, Aug 14. 2008, effective Sept. 15, 2008; 74 FR 54898, Oct. 26, 2009, effective Dec. 28, 2009; 81 FR 69950, Oct. 7, 2016, effective January 14, 2017]