37 CFR 1.1003: The United States Patent and Trademark Office as a designated office
Taken from the Ninth Edition of the MPEP, Revision 10.2019, Last Revised in June 2020
Previous: §1.1002 | Next: §1.1004
1.1003 The United States Patent and Trademark Office as a designated office.
- (a) The United States Patent and Trademark Office will act as a designated office ("United States Designated Office") for international design applications in which the United States has been designated as a Contracting Party in which protection is sought.
- (b) The major functions of the United States Designated Office include:
- (1) Accepting for national examination international design applications which satisfy the requirements of the Hague Agreement, the Regulations, and the regulations;
- (2) Performing an examination of the international design application in accordance with 35 U.S.C. chapter 16; and
- (3) Communicating the results of examination to the International Bureau.
[Added, 80 FR 17918, Apr. 2, 2015, effective May 13, 2015]